Health anxiety can have a significant negative impact on a person’s life and general sense of well-being. But to an extent, we all have health worries, so when does it stop being regular health worry and when does it become Health Anxiety? The worries in Health Anxiety tend to differ from typical health worries in a number of ways, including: the health worries are excessive; the health worries lead to unhelpful behaviours such as reassurance seeking, excessive checking or avoidance; the health worries are persistent; and the health worries cause significant distress and interfere in a person’s day-to-day activities. As a result, Health Anxiety results in a number of problems and difficulties in a person’s life. Some of these problems associated with Health Anxiety and health worry are:
1. Health anxiety can interfere in relationships with close friends and family.
2. Health anxiety can negatively affect relationships with your doctor or other health professionals.
3. Health anxiety can have a negative effect on a person’s work or school performance.
4. Health anxiety can negatively affect general life satisfaction and enjoyment.
5. Health anxiety can contribute to significant financial difficulties.
6. Health anxiety can contribute to unpleasant physical symptoms of anxiety, which can then exacerbate the health anxiety itself.
#Hypochondriasis #HealthAnxiety #IllnessAnxietyDisorder
Watch all of my videos for free at: www.psychologyvideos.ca
For more information about Dr. Rami Nader, visit:
For more information about the North Shore Stress and Anxiety Clinic, visit:
DISCLAIMER: The videos provided here on this YouTube Channel are for informational use only. The video content provided is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment. These videos do not establish a psychologist/client relationship. Always seek the advice of your doctor or mental health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read or seen on this channel. Dr. Rami Nader assumes no duty to correct or update the video content nor to resolve or clarify any inconsistent information that may be a part of the video content. Reliance on any content is solely at the viewer’s risk. Dr. Rami Nader hereby disclaims any and all liability to any party for any direct, indirect, implied, punitive, special, incidental or other consequential damages arising directly or indirectly from any use of the said video content, which is provided as is, and without warranties.